Tuesday, May 19, 2020

An update

I have always known that weight loss is more about diet/nutrition than working out. There is no way to out exercise or out lift a bad diet.

And yet - I've never actually been able to put it into practice. I can lift weights and do treadmill sprints and attend Orange Theory classes all day, every day, but control what I put in my mouth? So amazingly hard for me.

When I was in Miami for my fellowship, I stumbled across Luke Duncan and signed up for his eight week program. It was heavy lifting, moderate cardio and the cleanest, strictest diet I have ever had in my life. Needless to say, I lost ~40 lbs and was in the best shape of my life (I actually had a four pack abs and was so close to a six pack).

There's a catch though (isn't there always?). I did it by reverting to my eating disorder. The diet was strict, boring, inflexible....in order to stay on track, I gave in to my cravings and binged entire pizzas, whole pans of brownies, quarts of ice-cream and then purged. It quickly spiraled out of control. What started as a "once a week treat" to myself, became a daily occurrence and I could NOT control my impulses.

I stopped the diet. I regained the weight. And I started therapy. The last time I binged and purged was July 31st, 2019. At the end of this month, I will have been 10 months "clean".

With that under my belt, I have decided to get back on that clean diet again. The difference, this time, is that I:

1. Understand my unhealthy relationship with food
2. Know what my "triggers" are
3. Am working on "forgiving" myself when I eat something I had not planned
4. Am getting over my all or nothing mentality
5. Will use nutrition (not exercise) as my primary tool in losing fat
6. Use exercise as a means to be healthy and reshape my body
7. Will. Not. Stop. When. The. Weight. Is. Lost.

This is not a diet. This is a lifestyle. This is not temporary. It is permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment